Friday, August 17, 2007

Affair-licious

I haven't been an overly fat fatty most of my life. It was only within the last 8-10 years that I really started putting on the weight. And since I have lived in the same town for my entire 36 years, that's really not that long of a time to be heavy. I've always been big, mind you, but not grossly overweight like I was before having the DS.

So basically I have gotten back to being the same size woman that The Husband married. I'm almost the same size I was in high school. How righteous is that?

Anyway, the change in size hasn't been all that big of a problem for people that have literally known me all my life. To them, it's just the old Sarah back again. Different hair color, yeah, but the same ol' gel that I always have been.

The Husband and I have been married for 13 years. He has worked at his current jobsite for 14 years. So the vast majority of his co-workers have known me for that long and have seen me go up and now back down in size. No big deal. But those who have only known The Husband in the last four or five years have only ever known me big. This set us up for what went down on Monday.

Monday was the jobsite's 40th anniversary celebration. Spouses weren't invited, but former workers of the jobsite were and they were allowed to invite a guest. The Husband was desperate for me to come out to the celebration, so we hit up an ex-roommate of ours who used to work there to bring me along as his guest. Sweet! I was one of the few spouses that attended, but I was actually working the celebration helping The Husband with the food and whatnot so it's not like I was just out there for giggles and grins.

Anyway, one of the guys out there we've known for years. He's a flirty thing, and has been open with his appreciation as I've been losing the weight. Heck, he's been appreciative of me no matter what my size. It's okay with The Husband because the guy has a hot-as-hell wife who is also great friends with us and it's just this guy's personality. He's appreciative of feminine beauty and lets it be known. At one point during the day, he crept up and whispered loudly in my ear so that The Husband could hear it as well, "Damn, I don't know how much you've lost so far, but let me tell you it's fucking H-O-T!" We both just grinned. It was great. I don't like a lot of attention being thrown on my weight loss in public, but this friend of ours is just so engaging, you can't help but giggle like a schoolgirl when he does something like this.

The day wound to a close and I left with our former roommate to go back to my normal work. I was introduced to so many people, my head was spinning. Some I knew by name only, others were old co-workers. A good time was had by all. I even got to introduce The Husband to the mother of one of my ex-boyfriends. That's a story for later, though. Hee!

When The Husband got home that evening, he had a dazed look on his face. This was partly because he was standing around all day with an injured ankle (he had rolled it the night previously and was why I was helping out at the celebration), and partly because of things that happened after I left.

The Husband: "Did you know that I'm having an affair on you?"

Me: "Whaaaat? The hell?!?"

The Husband: "Yes. I'm having affair on you. Or so say some of my co-workers who came to verbally beat me up after you left. They were quite angry with me. One might say royally pissed off. They wanted to know who my new companion was."

Me: *dissolves into giggles in a pool on the floor*

This, my friends, is possibly the best thing to happen since surgery. I thoroughly intend to take it as a compliment. I don't care if it was my change in haircolor or the change back to who I used to be. It's all good in my book.

2 comments:

Dagny said...

This is one of the BEST STORIES EVER. Up there with a friend of mine who was asked by a maintenance man in our building, whatever happened to his brother?
Dagny

Kim said...

I loved this story. Great share. And now you get to be his "companion". Hee hee!