Monday, January 29, 2007

The Tax Man Cometh

And he hath slayeth me.

For the last week I have been delving into the seventh ring of hell known as the US Tax system. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those crazy psycho people who actually *likes* doing taxes. It's fun picking away at the amount you get taxed on. It's like taking pot shots at the gummint. *Pow!*

But this year we have to not only file our regular taxes, but we also have to file a form 1041 and K-1s in order to close out the trust that The Husband is executor of. And since The Husband is deathly allergic to accounting figures and all that jazz, the job, of course, fell to me, insane sicko for doing things of that nature.

It took me four freaking days to attempt to read the instructions on how to fill out a form 1041 properly. And then another three days to fill it out properly. I thought I was going insane. Either that or I thought I was going to stab my eyes out with a pen. A more convoluted way of dealing with estates and trusts could not have been figured out, IMO. All in an effort to bleed more money out of a dead person at the expense of the life span/sanity of a still-alive person. The fuck?

This is yet another reason why we need to institute a flat tax. If we're going to be taxed, let's just make it the same across the board. No deductions, no "credits," no juggling the numbers. None of that crap. Just a straight tax, and tax everyone the same amount. It's fair. No more of this taxing the rich more and the poor less. Everyone should be treated the same. Equality. It's something we talk about a lot these days, but for the most part only pay lip service to. This is one of those areas.

Yes, this would mean that a whole section of the population would lose their jobs as tax preparers, but so what? If it saves people's sanity, creates a fair and equitable system, then by God we should do it. And don't get me started about how a federal income tax technically isn't legal because it was never ratified by the states. That'll just get me going again.

So now that my head is being given a chance to stop the perpetual hurting from trying to understand the IRS's convoluted clap-trap, I'll actually be able to, oh, I don't know, get back to my life, update my blog with a few things, and actually be normal for a change.

Now where is that bottle of aspirin?

No comments: