Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Eleven Months

Yesterday marked the 11 month anniversary of my Duodenal Switch. In that time, I have lost 114 pounds - something I would have never believed was possible. Words cannot describe how happy this time of watching the pounds drop away has been.

This all being said, I know that my weight loss to this date has not been on par with what it could be. The reason? Simple. I eat too many carbs. But I balance it with eating enough protein first and since the weight has been coming off slowly but steadily, it's been a trade-off that I was willing to make.

But no more.

This weekend, I decided to get down and dirty with this weight loss thing. No more dinking around. Carbs will be allowed, but only in complex or multi/whole-grain form and must be eaten in combination with protein. Case in point - my latest snack. Herb and garlic goat cheese piled high/slathered all over a wheat thin cracker. Five of them is enough to satisfy me. I get tasty protein as well as my hankering for a cracker all in one package.

My day has always started off with either a protein shake or an omelete loaded with cheese and bacon. That's staying the same. However no more cheating with getting the occasional sausage egg muffin or bacon egg and cheese biscuit (double the bacon, please!) even though I throw away the top half of the muffin or biscuit. Too many simple carbs there for the beginning of the day, and I always end up hungry too soon afterwards because of it.

I will be adding another protein shake at some point throughout the day, either as a morning snack or as part of lunch. Today I've already had my 50 grams of Isopure chocolate for breakfast but I've also slammed down another 25 grams of Isopure Mango Peach. This will be my new habit because it also helps me get in more fluid which brings me to my next resolution:

Double up on the water. Despite having something at my elbow all day long to drink, I need to up the consumption, especially as summer is now in full swing here and it's hotter than hades. I will be keeping a checklist to mark off how many 20 oz bottles of H2O or Crystal Lite that I drink. And if I don't have at least five before I go home from work, then I know that I have to drink at least four more at home. If I do drink the five, then I only need two to drink at home. More is always better.

Increase my fat consumption. I know that some of you will be saying "Whaaaa?" to this, but I'm serious. This seems to be the way I lose weight. Every time I loose a chunk of weight it seems to be because I am using the fat malabsorption this surgery provides the right way.

For example, this weekend, we went down to Lancaster to see the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer. We also went to the mall, which meant that we went to Famous Dave's for lunch. I always eat their ribs as well as their beans. Which means I get a high fat content even though there is a high sugar content as well. And for the first time, we actually ordered desert because it was Thing Two's birthday. The Husband and Thing One shared their Chocolate Brownie confection, and the Birthday Girl and I shared a Bread Pudding. Oh my. Orgasm on a plate. I love bread pudding. This one is smothered in caramel sauce with pralines and ice cream. So worth the price, but you had better share it with at least one, if not two other people because it's monsterous. We left at least a third of it on the plate because to eat any more would have been so bad later on in the gas department. But don't think I didn't look wistfully at it sitting there - I'm not that good of a girl. Then again, I didn't WANT anymore, so that was good, too. Before surgery, I would have wolfed the rest of it down, full stomach be damned!

Anyway, the combination of the high fat and the protein levels that I had consumed earlier that day (42 gram bullet in the shower plus 50 gram shake on the way down) plunged me down the scale a full three pounds the next morning, where I've sat at since. The simple sugar for some reason, made no difference, but I'm not going to allow that to give me a free sugar pass. That would be the height of idiocy.

The key for me seems to be high protein plus high fat. Yes, I end up with poop that looks like styrofoam and tons of it. It's not explosive thankfully. But every time I do this combination, I promptly drop three to four pounds the next day and it stays like that until I dip down again.

Seeing as how I am now well and truly flirting with going under 200 lbs (this morning's scale read 200.8) I am determined to push this for all it's worth eating wise. For lunch today, I'm going to have my leftovers of Cheddar Chicken. It's made by sauteeing chicken pieces in a tiny bit of bacon grease along with olive oil and butter. Then you sautee the onions and garlic, add the cooked bacon back in, mix it all together with shredded cheddar cheese and cook in the oven until the cheese is melted. Heaven. Pure heaven. And good fats. The last time I ate the leftovers, I lost two pounds.

The DS is certainly a Your Mileage May Vary surgery. Everyone has to find what's right for them eating wise because no one can predict what your body can or cannot handle. Mine seems to have a cast-iron stomach (at least up until now) but needs the extra push of fat to get the pounds a-droppin'.

Who knows what I could do with this if I actually, you know, started exercising for a change? I mean, farm work can be tough, but it's not consistant to be sure. I need an aerobics class, preferably step. That's next on the list.

One hundred and sixty pounds? You will be mine before Christmas.

1 comment:

Danyele said...

You're going to be on the other side of 200 in no time!

And I'm not at all surprised that increasing your fat intake has made the scale drop. I have to keep my healthy fats high and my carbs low to lose. It's the whole insulin resistance thing. I cringe when people talk about eating lowfat this and that.. it's really bad for you and usually loaded with trans-fats and sugar. Yuck!