Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Everything has a spin cycle

So I have discovered Jennifer Government's Nation States. It's an interesting little place, you create your own country, run it by your own set of rules, and you get to see if it fails or flourishes. Not too bad, eh?

The way you get it to work is you make decisions on various issues, such as taxes, laws, civil rights, etc. Your decisions formulate the policies the government takes.

For example, on my plate right now is an issue about public nudity. There are three stances - one, the hippy who wants public nudity laws to be banished; two, the liberal professor who wants public nudity to be mandated; three, the accountant who admonishes us to "think of the children" and reserve nudity to the privacy of the home because he doesn't want to see a naked person walking down the street dangling the fruits and berries. Fairly simple and straightforward. The country of Sheeple Rage is going to think of the children in this instance.

You also have the option of dismissing the issue. I have no idea what that will do for the government, but I guess I'll be finding out soon because there have been a few that I have dismissed. But more important was why I dismissed them.

One was about taxes and the other was about healthcare. There was two options for healthcare and three for taxes. All of the options were either so extreme on either side of the equation as for them to be unpalatable to me, or the middle opinion still left much to be desired. Since I had no desire to go in any of the directions, I dismissed the issues. We'll see if they come up again.

But even in a game like this, there is always a definite spin put on the prickly topics of the day. I was actually a bit put out that my viewpoints weren't even represented in such important topics as healthcare and taxes. In fact, they weren't even touched on, at least not in a way that I could swallow. In the taxes issue, I was given a choice of taxing the rich to give to the poor in the name of "evening things out," leaving taxes the way they were but giving subsidies to big business, or increasing taxes outrageously. Nothing that I find appealing as I'm a flat tax person. A straight 10% across the board, no deductions or adjustments allowed. That's all you need, and more importantly it's fair to every IMO. No more loopholes.

Maybe the topic will eventually come up again and I'll get something that tickles my fancy, but I somehow doubt it. It will be interesting to see how this shapes out. In any case, welcome to my new interest. Hope I hooked ya.

1 comment:

Danyele said...

Ooo.. this sounds like fun!