Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday Minutiae

It seems that I was incorrect in the model number of the motorcycle we have purchased for my use. It is just a TW200, not a TRW200. No biggie, but what, pray tell, does the "R" mean when it is present in a motorcycle designation for Yamaha and many other brands? Why that would be "RACING," which The Husband let slip when I referred to my motorcycle incorrectly this weekend. And precisely WHOSE motorcycle has the "R" in its model designation? Yeah. That would be HIS FJR1300. Yeah. Racing. Funny how he snuck that by me, pulling the wool over my eyes, so to speak, isn't it? Harrumph!

And speaking of pulling the wool over the eyes . . . the girlies and I went to have our eyes checked this weekend at Lenscrafters. Thing Two needed to be checked to make sure that she *really* needs glasses (she does, and has an astigmatism to boot! Feh!) and Thing One needed an update and new pairs of glasses. I needed my routine annual checkup, including the check for glaucoma, seeing as how I have inherited a double-whammy from both my mother's and father's sides the equations. Eye pressure is normal, as it has been since I was a teen, which is good. Not that I'm paranoid about glaucoma (which I am), but I really don't want to be in the situation my mother was where they didn't catch it until it was pretty well progressed and she has chunks that are missing from her vision as a result and has also had to have surgery to DRILL HOLES in her eyeballs to relieve the pressure so things don't get worse. Ahem. Not my cup of tea.

No, the surprise of the visit is that the last time I had my eyes checked (about a year and a half ago - before having the DS) my prescription was -1.75 diopters in the right eye and -2.25 diopters in the left eye. It's been that way over the last seven to eight years or so. This steady prescription put me smack-dab in the category of "people who are able to have LASIK surgery because their prescription has remained stable." Yay! A life devoid of glasses! Sign me up!

This visit, however, dashed my hopes entirely. A full half diopter change in BOTH eyes. Aaargh.

But wait. I'm not finished yet. The change? It's not that my eyes have gotten worse, it's that they have gotten BETTER! Yes, my prescription is now -1.25 and -1.75, right and left eyes respectively. Holy cow! My optometrist was stunned. She's never seen something like this before. People always get worse, not better.

Could this be a result of having the DS? Did my excess weight also put a strain on my eyes that I had no way of knowing about? I mean, this prescription is what it was when I was 25. And here I am at 37 years of age with IMPROVING eyesight.

Is this improvement going to continue? Is it based on my weight loss? Is it based on my change to a high-protein diet? Have there been studies of WLS patients studying this phenomenon? WTF is going on here?

All I know is that I will put this down in the column of "good things that happened to me after weight loss." Who cares that I need to wait another three-to-four years to have a steady prescription. I'll take glasses for a while with these kinds of results.

No comments: