Friday, September 14, 2007

She Loses an Entire Other Person and She's Taking Up WHAT?

Motorcycles. Yup. You read that right. Motorcycles. I am now the proud owner of a Yamaha TRW200 - a dual sport that has a little bit of getupandgo and is still lightweight enough for me to feel comfortable actually maneuvering.

I held off quite a bit on this one, insisting to The Husband that it was a scooter or nothing else at all. I mean, my grandfather bought one for me when I was 16 and I used that throughout highschool so it was a comfort factor for me. But he somehow maneuvered around me, convinced me that it would be a marvelous training motorcycle for me because of the larger back tire and easy clutch (Just like driving a Volkwagon Beetle again! Yay!) and then as Thing One got older, it would make a great transition for her as well as she got her driver's license. Plus we could take it off-roading, and with me on the motorcycle and Thing Two on the back, that would mean all FOUR of us could go on a ride on the street.

Well, with logic like that, what woman can withstand it? Let's face it. He snowed me. Oh well! I wasn't complaining much. :-P

I went and took the motorcycle test today. And didn't pass by one point. Gah! I hate it when I do that. At least the questions I got wrong were wrong because I don't have much experience on a real motorcycle, and not because I don't know how to drive safely. The one that would have tipped me over the edge into passing I got wrong because I read it wrong. Blargh! Leave it to me to speed-read an important test.

Oh well. Next Monday I shall conquer the DMV and obtain my motorcycle license. As a bonus, I get a driver's license with a NEW PICTURE on it! One of my gripes about losing all this excess weight at this point is that NOBODY recognizes me anymore in my old picture. I mean, I nearly got denied access to my bank account at the place I've banked with since birth. WTF? And there was NO ONE around who has known me for years - an actual first. I had to remember both my mother and mother-in-law's maiden names to get access. They nearly wanted a blood sample it seemed. Aaargh!

But, I guess this means I've done relatively good, eh? If that's my only gripe at this moment, I'll take it. And I'm keeping my old license, come hell or high water. I want to keep that reminder around that I'm no longer that person who was uncomfortable in her own skin.

1 comment:

Dagny said...

Yeah well, I've taken up boxing.

GO LADY!!!!! Super cool!

I had a fun time at the DMV when I went for a new license. I immediately volunteered that I had lost weight and the guy was pretty stunned. I brought my birth certificate too.