Thursday, October 05, 2006

Going to the Dogs

It seems that we did not get a new dog for our family when we got our newest Dachshund last Saturday. Instead, we purchased a dog for our dog. He is not our dog, he is HER dog. Let the eye-rolling commence!

Saturday and Sunday were days of getting Skipper used to us and our family and to try and ease the shock of him going from a clan of eight doxies down to our much smaller pack of little Jasamine and big Nikita. And Jazzy wasn't even around those days seeing as how she was at Skipper's old house hopefully getting knocked up, little tart that she is. Add to that Skipper's freedom to roam five acres of land (compared to a small fenced-in yard at his old home) and you get one mopey and depressed pup.

Skipper is terrified of Nikita, even though all she wants to do is play. The little guy has never seen a dog as big as she (she's an Akita) and seems convinced that this ginormous beast actually wants to eat him. So, he runs away from her. And seeing as how he doesn't really know *us* from Adam either, he runs away from us too. Luckily, a reddish-brown dog kind of sticks out amongst the bamboo so we can easily find him to bring him back to the relative safety of the house.

He's housebroken, which is a blessing, but we're having to crate train him at night and he's a little bit put out by that. Tough love, doggy. It's all tough love.

Jasmine came home from her first breeding foray Monday night. The minute she came in the house, Skipper was glued to her side. The reasons for this are probably two-fold. Jazzy is still in heat, although not accepting a male anymore, and since Skipper is, ahem, intact, this means he wants to get his crazy on. Secondly, he is only used to being around other doxies, and seeing one of his own has probably helped convince him that we're not all that terrible after all, but damn it he's sticking with his own kind, thankyouverymuch!

So now, instead of one small 10-pound doggie bouncing around me, begging to get up on my lap or be picked up (Jasmine considers me HER human), I have 40 pounds of dog weaving in and out around my legs (with Skipper chasing Jasmine everywhere she goes) when I'm trying to get anything acccomplished in the house. This is not good for one's sense of balance, and I have almost come crashing down several times these last two days while trying to avoid stepping on the masses of wriggling dog bodies that surround me. Because if there's one thing about Dachshunds that is true, it's that once you have more than one, it is like you add another ten dogs for every extra one that you have. It's sort of like working to the powers of 10. This is a bit of dog mathematical science that I tend to forget, seeing as how I'm only used to having my one doxie.

Suddenly I find myself hoping that Jasmine's breeding didn't take. Because what on God's green earth am I going to do with MORE doxies? Cause I'm not breeding her to sell the pups. We just wanted more doxies, and what better way to get more of them than to, um, do it yourself, right? Oy! Sometimes I don't think that I think things through.


Anyway, enjoy the picture of these newfound friends. Jasmine is telling Skipper to quit whispering sweet nothings into her ears because she just doesn't believe him. At all. Seriously! I mean, really. Just take a look at her face. You can see her giving him the stink-eye. I swear!

No comments: