Tuesday, October 31, 2006

File this under: You paid HOW MUCH for that?

Dude. People on eBay will buy just about anything. And for WAAAAYYY too much money. Seriously. It's very, very scary.

Now, take this item here. It's a little insulated lunch bag made by Lean Cuisine. It was part of a promotion to raise money for the Susan G. Komen foundation. Cost to me? $10. I happened to get one because I thought it was cute. The one I got was the one in the front there - white with the pink and orange swirly thingies and the pink handles. When it arrived, I opened it up, and while yes, it was a cute design, it got a total "meh" from me. It's not all that, really. It's kind of an awkward shape for an insulated lunch bag and just wasn't something that I was going to use. And yeah, the handles just don't stand up like that on their own. The picture is way cuter than the reality. So I did what I do with things I buy that I can't return and want to recoup some of my money on. I put it up for bid on eBay.

It was a five-day auction that I started out at 99 cents.

Last night, after 18 different bids, that little $10 bag sold for - drum roll, please! - $80. And they already paid for it with PayPal.

Damn. I should have bought more of those suckers. 800% profit is nothing to shake a stick at. All I wanted was my $10 back, really.

Then again, who is STUPID enough to spend $80 on a promotional lunch bag? I guess because you can't get them anymore? Who knows why people spend this kind of money on things.

I think my local women's shelter is going to get a little donation today. It may not be much in the great scheme of things, but at least someone else's foolishness will help out someone in need.

1 comment:

Danyele said...

I think it's wonderful that you're donating some of your profit to charity - good for you.