Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Turkey-lurkey day!

Well, tomorrow it is.

But today, we're going to begin the long and arduous trek to the in-laws house in Nevada. How long and how arduous is this trek? Well, let's just say we're breaking it into two legs instead of shooting straight through this time. We'll leave at around 3 p.m. today and then stop in Bishop to spend the night. Total drive time? Two and a half hours. Yep. You read that right. Two and a half hours. The second leg of the trip that we'll do tomorrow? That'll be about three hours long. We're not really into over-extending ourselves this year.

Hey, man. I'm only along for the ride. 'Cause I'm just here for the food. Whatever schedule The Husband wants to have, I'm more than game. I'm on freakin vacation, people!

Seriously, though, I understand why he wants to do it this way. He has been beyond stressed with everything going on with his knees and the way things are going at work. He's tired of management, HR and his crew chief spazzing out over the whole "can't crawl on his knees" thing, tired of things being discussed behind his back about his position, tired of things being discussed with other people who are not in a need-to-know position (HIPAA violation, anyone? Anyone?), tired of the whole song and dance. And so he just wants to have some fun. So, we will.

Plus, this way we'll get to make a stop at Erik Schat's Bakkerei for some good sourdough bread and other goodies to share with the family throughout the weekend.

It will be a good Thanksgiving. It's a miracle that my father-in-law is still alive and that somehow the chemotherapy has worked beyond all our expectations. I'll get to meet some of my sister-in-law's family for the first time. And my father will be joining us again this year as well.

< .rant >

Speaking of my father. I think it's really, really NICE that a man with four grown children can really only call ONE of those children to see if he can spend the holiday with them. Because none of the others want to speak with him. For no real fucking reason (well, I'll give one sister a pass there but only because of the situation surrounding that). Thanks, guys. Thanks for showing the love. Thanks for breaking my heart having to hear my father - hell, OUR father! - essentially beg to spend Thanksgiving with family. Thanks a whole lot. I hope you think about him at some point in time this weekend. Because we're going to be having fun with him. Have fun with Mom instead, mmkay?

< / rant >

Sorry. Had to get that out there. It was really effecting me more than it should.

Now. Back to the food.

I already had a bit of practice in how to deal with the Thanksgiving spread at our company's annual Thanksgiving lunch. Turkey is going to fill me up rather quickly, while the ham is going to be much easier on me. I think I'll stick to munching on ham most of the day and save the turkey with gravy for the actual meal. A little bit of potato and a bite or two of dressing and I'll probably call it good. It's actually going to be really easy to get in all my protein, so that will be a huge plus. And if I'm not full (really big if there), then The Husband and I will probably share a piece of the cheesecake that I'm bringing.

Anyway, have good fun tomorrow with family and friends. Don't eat anything bigger than your head (yeah, right, like that's an option anymore! Hee!). And don't let the crazies on the road ruin your weekend. I'll be back next week!

1 comment:

Danyele said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Sarah and drive safe!