Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Day - It's over! Yay!

Praise Jesus and pass the potatoes! Election day is over. No more lying politicians gracing my TV screen, telling me that so-and-so is a retard or telling me that I *have* to vote for this proposition because he/she knows ever so much more than me. They're gone! Whoo-hooo!

I must say that I am spectacularly pleased at the huge number of people in this country that turned out to vote. Finally people are beginning to take their civic duties seriously! It's about damn time! I honestly don't give a rat's ass that the GOP lost their control in the Senate (House too? I haven't checked the returns yet this morning). It means that the people were out there, making their will known and it was a good thing! If I'm going to be outvoted on my candidates, it had better be because more than half of the electorate got off their asses and voted, rather than the piss-poor showing that it's been lately.

I had to stand in line for an hour last night just to get to a voting machine. And this is in a very small precinct. It was awesome! Usually, voting here was a breeze in and breeze out kind of a thing. But they had a line of at least 20 people all day long. No let-up at all. Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

But there is one thing that I'm still seeing when people vote and it's pissing me off more and more each year. The whole "well, I don't like either major party candidate, and the candidate I do like will never win so I'll just vote for the lesser of the two evils" thing. People. If you would realize that if you started voting for the candidate that you really believed would follow your personal ideals, then perhaps other people that feel the same way would vote for them too and maybe, just maybe, they would, I don't know, ACTUALLY GET ELECTED!

This whole thing really torked me off when we had the special election to recall Gray Davis a few years ago. The best candidate, hands down in my opinion, was Tom McClintock. He had run against Davis in the regular election, and lost. When the special election came up, his hat was in the ring again. The man is one of the true died-in-the-wool fiscal conservatives left in this country. While he may lie through his teeth on other issues like all other politicians, when it came to this area, there was no budging the man. And that's what people in California claimed they actually wanted. We're tired of governors pissing away our money. Which was why we voted to recall Davis.

But then Ahnold threw his hat into the ring. And all the people who were going to vote for McClintock threw up their hands in dismay, wringing them saying, "Well, McClintock doesn't have a chance of winning now that Schwarzenegger's in the race. So I'll just vote for him so that Davis doesn't get the spot back." And that, my friends, is how we got Ahnold with such a landslide victory - losing out on one of the few fiscal conservatives left in this nation, or whichever candidate you felt was right for the job. All because we "thought" he didn't have a chance. Well if you just CAST A DAMN VOTE FOR HIM, then maybe he would have won! And if he hadn't? So what? At least you voted for the candidate you wanted, instead of your "lesser of two evils."

McClintock got defeated again last night, this time for Lieutenant Governor. Who did we elect in his place? The former dirty insurance commissioner John Garamendi. And again we have that fucker, Jerry Brown, back in an office again - Attorney General this time. Didn't we learn the LAST TIME on both of these guys? Apparently not. The electorate has a very short memory it seems.

But at least people got off their damn couches and turned out and voted. In the end, I can't be upset at that, even if I am a minority in this very Blue state of California. At least my voice was heard.

1 comment:

Deluzy said...

Hey, Sarah - we appear to be on different sides of the fence politically, but I am *so* with you on the at-least-fols-turned-out-to-vote front!