Saturday, August 19, 2006

Month One - down 30 pounds and inches galore!

It's been one month since Dr. K removed over 80% of my stomach and re-routed my intestines, and all I can say is HOT DAMN!!!! I have lost 30 pounds (even though I've been down 33 pounds at one point) and currently weigh 285. And even better are the INCHES that I have lost. Four inches from my waist. Two inches on each of my upper arms. Five inches from my upper chest. Three inches from my hips. And the list goes on and on and on. It's fucking AWESOME! I can honestly say that I LOVE MY DS!

I won't lie to you though. The first few weeks are crappy. You have to learn what you can eat, how much you can eat, how quickly it can all come back up on you if you don't eat the right things. Ugh. I don't wish feelings like that on my worst enemy.

There were things that people didn't tell me about. Like the whole seepage issue. I was totally unprepared for that, and it completely grossed me out. One time when I was in the shower dealing with this issue (i.e. making it drain out) some tissue clumps came out as well and, well, I lost my lunch. In the shower. :::sigh::: I just was not prepared for this funky fluid to come out of me. Luckily, since Dr. K stuffed all that freaking gauze down me at my appointment last Monday that gaping hole in my body has begun to fill in and heal. There is little to no fluid coming out now, and I anticipate it may be completely healed over within two weeks. So, yay me!

Another thing that I was not prepared for is what I call the hunger monster. If I don't feed this tummy when it wants sustenance, OMG the monster that emerges is so not fun to deal with. So much for the no hunger pangs thing. Damn. It's insane.

As for food, there seems to be very few things that I can't eat from what I have tried. One current no-no that actually surprised me was mozarella cheese. But any other kind of cheese is just fine. Hrm. Wierd. Milk tastes very sweet to me, and as a result I don't want to drink it at all, which is kind of disappointing since one of my greatest pleasures is having a glass full of cold milk to drink down.

The smell of cooking fish completely grosses me out, but the actual taste isn't so bad at all. Fried chicken thighs are my main staple of food at the moment. Take off most of the breading and skin, and what's left behind is tender, delicious meat that I currently am obsessed with dipping in ranch dressing. Yum! Yogurt with some protein powder mixed in is damn good as far as I'm concerned. I also keep saying that I'm going to make up some deviled eggs but I have yet to get around to it. They just sound so good!

Oh. I can eat a whole crunchy taco from Taco Bell. It may take me a half hour, but by God I can eat that sucker! And chicken nuggets from McDonalds are good too, but I can't eat more than four or five of them at once. They're obviously not something I'm eating on a daily basis, but they made for good treats when out and about with the kids.

The one thing I haven't tried is bread. :::sigh::: I really crave a good English muffin right about now, but honestly I'm scared of it. I want to make a loaf of fresh bread and eat it toasted and slathered with butter. I think I'll wait another month before I try that. White flour scares me.

As for sweet things, well I just don't really have a taste for them at this point. I made a cheesecake and while I would have been previously foaming at the mouth about it, it sat in my refrigerator with only the children eating pieces of it. We had to throw it out because nobody would eat enough of it to make it go away. Pre-surgery? It wouldn't have lasted three days. So that's a good thing there.

I imagine I will eventually gain my sweet tooth back, but I think that with the knowledge that I *can* have a sweet here and there and that I don't have to deprive myself for the rest of my life, I'll be able to get a handle on having them - my huge trigger for eating sweets was always because I SHOULDN'T have them because I was just too fat to deserve having something that tasted that good. Then, too, is the issue of my eating food because I'm depressed or bored. If I'm able to re-route myself to better choices while I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this surgery, I think I will be prepared to face the next 20 years without overdoing it.

It's a good start, all things considered. I'm very pleased, and can't wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think every DSer-to-be should read this post. Your weight loss has been phenomenal, but you clearly show that the first bit is no walk in the park. Surgery is a big deal and having your whole relationship to food change is perhaps a bigger deal. Thank you for sharing this.