Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Regaining the Land Speed Record

I was always a fast walker. It was as if it was a sport to me. I mean, come on, we've got a lot of ground to cover here, people! Move it, move it, move it! It used to be the biggest complaint people had about me - that they couldn't keep up.

By the time I reached about 260 pounds, that started to change. I slowed down. A lot. By the time I was at my highest weight (which the husband now thinks was a bit higher than the 315 that we know about based on pictoral evidence), I was a veritable sloth. Those of you that have been or are currently heavy know what I'm talking about. You're out of breath. Your feet hurt. Your knees hurt. Your back hurts. Walking quickly? Hah! That's for lunatics. Don't worry about me. I'll get there eventually!

About four or five weeks ago, I noticed on my daily walk into work through the parking lots that I was no longer lagging behind people getting out of their cars at the same time as me. In fact, I was either keeping pace with them, or starting to gradually overtake them.

Then two or three weeks ago, I realized that I was back at it fully. I'm speed walking again. I don't want to waste time, so I'm moving as quickly as I can without breaking into a trot. No, I don't wiggle my ass and hips the way those professional speed walkers do, but damn it all if I'm not acting like I'm getting a workout while simply walking somewhere again. And I'm not winded when I get to my destination! Glory Halleluia! It's amazing what losing close to 100 pounds will do for a person, eh?

Out-of-pocket cost for Duodenal Switch Surgery? $3600

Cost of new clothes to fit shrinking body? $1000

Monthly cost for protein and vitamins to fit new lifestyle? $150

Re-setting your own personal land speed record? Priceless.

No comments: