Monday, March 05, 2007

You've fallen into one of the classic blunders . . .

The most famous of which is Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia. But only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Hahahaa ha! Hahahha ha! Hahahhah hah! *thunk*

Do you love The Princess Bride? Well, we do. I think I've touched on this before when discussing our vow renewal. And since this post is about the renewal, I think it's fair to revisit the subject again.

Over the weekend while camping and playing with our quads, some of our friends came out to visit us and have lunch with us and the topic turned to the renewal. Specifically, what on earth were we going to do?

The pendelum has swung - sometimes violently - back and forth from being completely irreverent and just having fun with it, to being all serious and formal and stuffy and everything in between. This weekend, however, we decided to just throw all caution to the wind and Go For It. We are now officially having a Princess Bride ceremony.

Thankfully our officiant - a friend of ours known for his jovial manner - is more than likely to play along with us. All he will have to do, other than preside over the ceremony, is begin like the pompous officiant in the "wedding" from the movie. Mahwage. Say that one word, and at least half of those attending will burst into laughter - which is as it should be.

The Husband will be dressing as Westley. Well, sans mask. His brother will dress as Inigo, and his best friend will dress as Fezzik. Me, I'll be dressed similar to Buttercup, but since I just don't have the same body type as Robin Wright Penn, I'll have to go with what works for me. And oh yeah. It's going to be a white dress. I have completely lost the battle within myself over having a non-white dress, and instead am going with blinding bridal white with a flash of sapphire blue here and there. You only live once in this life, and this will probably be the only time that we are going to do something like this, so dammit all, I'm going to go for it. If somebody has a problem with it, they can just go pound sand. Hmph.

As a special surprise, we're going to have a friend of ours play the Old Woman from Buttercup's dream sequence. Booo! Booo! Booooo! We're not certain where we're going to go with that from there, but we have time to come up with it.

All this playacting means a few things, however. One, we're going to need some specialized props, like rapiers. Two, some costs have been cut - like instead of renting tuxes, I now get to make the guy's outfits which is much cheaper and easier to fit to them - while other costs have risen - boots? Have you seen the prices? OMG! *sigh* I think we'll have his brother and our friend provide their own footwear. I'll make the outfits, but the shoes are all up to them. Eeep. Well, unless I can find something that will work well instead.

It's wierd, but it's as if things are working perfectly now where before it felt kind of disjointed. We're happy that we're going with something that we're passionate about and that fits our personalities. I know some people think theme weddings can be a bit ridiculous, and I've seen some myself that were plain silly. But I think when you're going to do something over-the-top, you have to embrace it fully - don't just do it half-assed. And boy, oh boy, have we ever plunged head-first into the pool of schlock. I mean, really. This is a vow renewal. We're already married. We just want to have some fun and have people celebrate with us. I can't wait. Hee!

No comments: