Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Five months

Today marks five months since I've had the Duodenal Switch. While my weight loss wasn't as good as I had hoped for the month - 9 total pounds bringing me down to 238 - the inches that I have lost more than make up for it in my book.

Last month, The Husband had me try on some jeans to just get a guestimate of where I was clothes-wise. I fit into a 24 or a 22, depending on the brand. Not too bad, considering I started at a 26-28, and it seems that when you're on this high of the scale, that it takes a lot of poundage in order for the numbers to go down. But I still wasn't going to buy any new clothes because it just wasn't worth it to me to spend the money. So I've been slogging along in my old clothes, watching them puddle up and nearly fall off me.

This weekend, we went to Lane Bryant in the mall in Palmdale. I desperately needed some new bras, and The Husband wanted to convince me to get a few new pieces to look nice at work with. Okay. I'll at least try some stuff on.

The bra fitting went better than I had anticipated. I'm now at a 42DD, down from a 44/46 DD/DDD, depending on the brand. The girls are much happier in their lifted state, and I'm not as depressed anymore about how much I have been appearing to lose from there.

But jeans. Oh, the jeans. I was going to go for a 22, but the sales lady stopped me cold. "No way," she said. "You're a 20 at the most." And yep. They fit me like a glove. And no, they're NOT stretch! Hooray!

Shirts? I'm an 18/20 there. Although I think I prefer to have a shaping undergarment beneath it all so that the fluffy rolls that have made their appearance don't show through. Needless to say, I bought Spanx Higher Power for those special occasions.

We also bought some lovely beaded chiffon separates and some satin skirts to make me a fancy-dancy outfit. And the waistband is such so that I can take it in when necessary and make the most out of the skirts. Bonus!

While I didn't get a whole bunch of stuff, they were pieces that are showcasing what I have done for myself through this surgery. And I think I'll be less resistant to picking up the occasional new outfit here and there along the way down the scale now that I've seen that yes, I actually can look good again.

When I came out of the fitting room to show off the outfits I was trying on, I nearly cried at the look I saw in The Husband's eyes. The woman he married is slowly but surely making her way back to him. And both of us are thrilled at the prospect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so happy for you!!!

Lemme tell you, skirts with elastic waist bands are THE way to go ... I can still wear 20-22 skirt from this past spring if the waist band is elastic, and I'm a size 10-12 now.

It's worth it to treat yourself to a few new clothes now and then, just to stay plugged into the fact that YES, you're losing -- INCHES as well as POUNDS.

Merry Christmas to you.