Saturday, September 30, 2006

Diamond Dogs

Oh yes, Internet, diamonds are a girl's best friend, just like dogs are man's best friend. And guess what? We got one of each today! And neither were on the plan for today. At all. Wow.

The dog is the easiest for us to rationalize to ourselves. We were coming home and decided to see about a garage sale that was just down the street. Lo and behold, the sale was at a friend's house. A friend who just happens to breed Dachshunds. And for the past six months or so, we've been talking about getting another Doxie because just one (my little Jasmine) was not enough Small Dog for us. We walked away with a one-year-old standard size red male that weighs in at 30 pounds - so very not a Small Dog - and a stunned look on both of our faces. Oh, and did I mention that Jasmine is in heat? So we brought her back over to breed with our neighbor's miniature Doxie because apparently all of a sudden we have an obsessive desire to start our own small herd of stunted-leg dogs.

And the best part? We are also planning on getting an Australian Shepherd puppy (as a replacement for The Husband's beloved Sheba) hopefully next week. I think we've gone insane. Hold me!

Now for the diamond. :::sigh:::

When The Husband and I got married, we eloped. We did not have rings for each other, nor did we have the money at that time to get rings. We had rings at home at a jeweler on layaway, but that kind of doesn't count. Because we were very poor at the time I also never got an engagement ring.

The Husband and I have a habit of getting re-married every once in a while. The first time we did, he surprised me on a trip we made to Las Vegas with a proposal over the radio and we renewed our vows at the drive-thru of the Little White Wedding Chapel (I rate the drive-thru there at sunset an A+ experience). The second surprise of the evening was his presenting me with a diamond engagement ring. It was a very small one - perhaps 1/5th of a carat and commensurate with our level of financial stability at the time - but it meant the world to me.

Since then, we've never made big jewelry purchases a priority. Frankly, I don't care about the bling, but The Husband has always made noises about wanting to get me something.

The Husband had to get his wedding band sized up because he jammed his ring finger and now that the knuckle has healed, it is bigger than it was previously - rending the ring too small and painful to get on. We went back to the jewelry store to see if it was ready to be picked up and also to check out possible new wedding bands because ours are beginning to get really worn after 12 years.

Well, not only did we find new matching wedding bands, we started discussing possibly resetting my "engagement" ring to make it more flush with my hand. We were looking at different settings in the jeweler's book, when we found one that he had an example of. Oh, we should look at that! Need to know what it would look like, right?

The setting was much better than the Tiffany prong one that I had and I said that this would be perfect. Then The Husband got into the act. The ring I was looking at was a wedding set. The engagement part was a much bigger diamond than the one I already had. But the wedding part had a space for a smaller jewel that wasn't set with anything.

Before I know it, The Husband is singing the receipt for the wedding set, the jeweler has my engagement ring to take the diamond out of it to put into the other wedding band. It seems I now have a totally new wedding set. I think I have more wedding rings now than I have ring fingers, between the old wedding band, the new wedding band, and the new wedding/engagement ring set. And I'm supposed to wear them all how?

And they say that women are impulse shoppers. Hah!

No comments: