Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sometimes, childhood comfort foods are the best

Since I had my DS, I have been telling myself that I'm going to make myself one of my favorite snack/lunch items, but I've never gotten around to doing it. Well, The Husband got sick and tired of me just saying it but never doing it, so on Monday he boiled up a dozen eggs for me just so that I can make myself some deviled eggs. This, ladies and germs, is true love, right here. A man boiling his wife eggs.

Seriously, though, I love deviled eggs. They are possibly my favorite comfort food, ever. As a child, I would boil up a dozen eggs, and then over the course of the next week or so would foray into the spice cabinet, seeking that perfect blend of spices that would make my eggs fantastic. A little bit of garlic powder, some onion powder, perhaps a little bit of oregano or thyme, hey, this meat tenderizer might work pretty well, how about some cumin? The recipie would vary every time I made the eggs up. I think the only thing that was constant was the garlic and onion powder. I probably tried every spice there was in my eggs. Sometimes the concoction wasn't that good - even vile. Sometimes it was astoundingly flavorful. But I was having fun with spices and that's all that mattered.

Now, I am a finicky girl, and don't like to eat other people's deviled eggs. And why would that be? Because they contaminate their eggs with either one of two things: mustard or pickle relish. Or, horror of horrors, they use BOTH! Gah! Oh, and too much paprika. Enough with the red stuff, people! It's supposed to be just a dash, not a pile of the stuff on top!

Every time I try someone else's deviled eggs, I have to go discretely rid myself of the mouthful of egg because I cannot stand mustard or pickle relish, and they always have at least one of these ingredients in there. Why? When did people decide that these two foul creations must go in deviled eggs? Ugh! All you need is a tiny spot of mayonnaise and some good spices and call it done, already!

Please note that I am very hypocritical about mustard. Mustard has it's uses. However, it may only be honey mustard, and it can only be used in certain recipies. Like The Husband's Little Smokies recipie or my mother-in-law's Honey Mustard Chicken. But people always use the nasty yellow mustard in their deviled eggs and that's just gag-a-rific to me. Blech!

Anyway, instead of my haphazard childhood search through the spice cabinet for the perfect blend of things, I now have a single spice mix that I use for deviled eggs. It's called Cajun Land Cajun Seasoning with Green Onion and it's made by this family in Louisiana in their home (well, it used to be - they've gotten bigger as word about their products has spread) and it is the best spice mix ever. Seriously. You can use it on chicken, you can use it on beef, it's epsecially tasty on pork. It goes in your potatoes, it goes on your scrambled eggs. My brother-in-law uses it instead of salt the stuff is so good.

In fact, everything this company makes is good. We love their pork seasoning, for instance, and their hot tamale kit is pretty damn good as well.

We stumbled upon this company via our friend Karl. We used to place orders in bulk with them because, well, because it's all so good and we didn't want to have to ring them back up every time we ran out of something. One time, Karl called the number for them (before their website was up) and got the granddaughter on the line. She said in her cute little girl voice that they didn't have any in stock at the moment but that her grandmother would be back soon with a new batch of spices and they would ship it off to us as soon as they got everything mixed up. We were completely enchanted. They've had loyal customers for the last 13 years in us.

They're in Metairie, so obviously they were affected by Hurricane Katrina. Their website is still up, so hopefully they are back up and running. Because we're about to run out of some of this spice, and our kitchen comes to a screeching halt if this stuff isn't around. Check them out. Their prices are excellent, and you get a quality product.

But the main point of this post is that in my deviled eggs, I have finally found a good way to up my protein count. The three that I have already consumed over the past three hours has me at a 22 gram level, and I've got one more staring at me, begging me to eat it. I may in about an hour or so, but we'll see. I think today might actually be the day that I break 80 grams of protein because of these eggs, and that will make me very happy. And because of the DS, 80% of the fat that's in the mayo that I used is just going to move on through, which makes me happy as well. They won't be an "every day" thing, but they'll be there to help boost me when that protein count is down.

Who knew that a childhood comfort food would be so good for me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANOTHER post about food?

Sarah said...

Darlin'/Dude, when you have to examine the minutiae of everything you eat, then yes, most of my posts are going to be about food at least in part. *sigh* If you don't like what you read, then just click away. The internet is a big, big place, ya know?

Danyele said...

Good for you Sarah - gotta love yummy stuff that gives you PROTEIN! BTW.. so glad to see that you're speaking your mind.. WHATEVER is on your mind. That's what blogging is all about.

Anonymous said...

The Internet is a big place all right. I read the other blogs. The other bloggers are not finding excuses to do things like eat all the eggs youw ant.

Sarah said...

Excuse? Bwahhhahahhaaaa! Whatever. Troll somewhere else. It doesn't work here.