Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fifty?

I hate it when I leave my blog for so long. Makes me feel like a slacker. Then again, I've been trying to stave off a sheep invasion of my eight beds of asparagus, keep the male pheasants from killing each other, and get the roof of my quilting studio shingled. Oh! And I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, a kingdom to run and my wife to murder. I'm swamped!

Anyway . . .

So the scale has been dangling a 50-pound loss like a carrot (steak?) in front of my nose these last few days. It feels kind of wierd to say that I've lost 49 pounds, but I don't want to cheat and round it up to the 50 when I really haven't. Lost it, that is.

Once I do reach the 50 pound loss, that will mean that I have 115 pounds to go to make it down to my goal of weighing 150 pounds. What *is* it with me and round numbers? Is there some reason why I can't pick, say, 147 pounds as my goal weight? Or is it because I want this to be all nice and tidy for me? Am I becoming obessive compulsive here? Could be. Or maybe I need to get back on the prozac.

This all leads me to the question of precisely how much I should weigh to be a normal person. And honestly, I don't know. I just picked the number of 150 because that's a number I've weighed previously. But is that really the weight that I should be shooting for?

When I weighed 150 pounds last, I was in high school. I was probably a size 14 then. I was definitely NOT skinny. But was I healthy? I suppose so. I had an active life, did a lot of physical things and such. But I always noticed that I didn't fit in because yes, I was bigger than most of the other girls. Heck, even some of the guys!

In checking out a link that Jen posted a while back, for my age and height it tells me that the average weight is 173lbs with a BMI of 26.4. Hrm. I don't know that I would be satisfied with that. It still seems fairly overweight for me in remembering how my body was at 173lbs. I weighed about that much when I met The Husband, and was wanting to lose some weight even then.

The link also says that my medical ideal weight should be 141lbs. Not bad, I suppose. A bit less than my "goal" but possibly do-able. Then again, it has the possibility of of being a weight that I would look skeletal at. I don't think I could handle the comments that would come with that - "Eat a sandwich, already!" "You're looking unhealthy!" "I'm worried about you, Sarah!" Feh.

In the end, no amount of obsessing or anticipating stupid comments from other people is going to help me figure out where I "should" land. Once I hit 180, it's going to be just a matter of figuring out what looks right on me I suppose. This is going to be one area of this where I just need to give up on trying to plan it all out. That should be fun. Or not.

4 comments:

Dagny said...

I picked 150 for my goal weight because it seemed right for my height and stature. Discussed it with my doctor and he agreed. Now I'm very much in "when does it feel and look right" mode. I've got a little bit of chub here and there and I just want to see where it goes. But doesn't 150 sound like a lovely number!!

Deluzy said...

I so get the round number obsession, the semi-random picking of a goal weight, the wondering what "normal" is/will be -- not just for my height and frame (not that I've ever been even *close* to normal) but now for my *age* as well.

Medically normal for me will be 154 -- by one pound -- so that's what I picked. But it's pretty abstract to me. Dr. K rolled his eyes at me and suggested 180, which I've already passed (I'm 177) -- but of course he's going partly by WLS averages to determine "success".

I could live with it if I stopped here -- but I don't want to. I want to SEE what "normal" is, technically, and then decide.

But still ... it's all theoretical to me!

Danyele said...

I just want to congratulate you on that 49 lb loss.. maybe it'll be 50 by the time I write this!

Sarah said...

Ha! It is 50! Just yesterday. Thanks, Danyele!