Thursday, September 07, 2006

Happy birthday to me!

Tomorrow is my birthday. And my body has decided to give me a present - 41 pounds lost since surgery! Whoo-hoo! I am so not going to complain about this. This means that I'm down to 274. I haven't been this size since Thing Two was about a year old. I just need to keep it up. And when the hell are the clothes sizes going to start going down? Aaagh! I'll take the poundage lost, though.

To celebrate, I don't think we are going to do anything special, and that's just fine by me. I have been "over" celebrating my birthdays for such a long time. Plus, I see absolutely no value in being one of those high maintenance adults that INSIST on having a party thrown for them every year. Oh, and should I mention that the party MUST be a surprise? Let me roll my eyes for dramatic effect here. :::roll::: Done. Oh wait. A little bit more. :::rooool::: Okay, there.

Yes, I know one of these little divas. Her birthday is what the center of the universe revolves around, and her poor henpecked husband hasn't been able to break through her selfish shell and make her understand that he just cannot do these things every. single. year. Especially since they are pinching pennies right now so hard I think that their fingers are stained with copper residue. I just honestly cannot understand this attitude. And she claims to be a good and loving Christian wife! Ha! One of the FIRST things about being a Christian that you learn is that, um, hello! You're not supposed to be selfish anymore - you put OTHERS before YOU.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel either on the selfish side of things, as The Husband can readily attest to. But this is an attitude that I just don't get and frankly makes me madder than hell. I do not get an understanding of the need to make everything about YOU. That's not what this life is about, period.

Anyway, both The Husband and I will be getting our bi-monthly massages tomorrow. This will be my first one since the surgery and I cannot wait for it. My back needs such a going over it's not funny. I've been holding off going to the chiropractor until I could get the massage because I'm just too tight to adjust right now. This is one of our few splurges, and since it makes both of us feel so much better, we scrimp in other areas so that we can continue to get them. Our therapist, Nicki, is ever so good and worth every single penny.

Just getting this massage will make my birthday one of the best in the world. Well, between that and getting to wake up next to The Husband and hugging my girls when they wake up in the morning.

So, in honor of my birthday, what makes your birthday special to you? Cards? A nice present from someone you love? Cake? Ice Cream? A party? Getting quiet time with a book? Let us all know, and then we can all throw an un-Birthday Party sometime and everybody will get something that they love and feel good about.

4 comments:

ShirleyValentine said...

Happy Birthday!
I too know a "Birthday Diva" but we are no longer friends.
My Birthday is next Tuesday and I emailed my husband my "Wish List" which consisted of a $4,000 tennis bracelet from Costco, or a new purse and some slippers. I think I know what I will get. Unless he surprises me.
Enjoy your massage! I used to get them 3 times a week at PT and they felt great.
Enjoy your Birthday,
Susan

Danyele said...

Happy Birthday!! I didn't realize we had so many Virgos around here. A massage sounds like a great idea. This probably sounds stupid, but I've never had one. I've never felt comfortable enough with my MO body to have a stranger massage me. Recently, one of my girlfriends got married and she had a "spa evening" instead of the traditional bachelorette party. She paid for each of us to have a treatment - I chose waxing over massage because I was so self-conscious. I have major back and neck pain and I really NEED massage, but just can't bring myself to do it. I've promising myself that I will finally do it - maybe for my birthday. I should be feeling pretty good by the time February rolls around.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tomorrow!!! Massage is a great gift for yourself (and your DH), esp. for a recently post-op body.

It's all relative: it takes a little while for clothing sizes to drop at the beginning because even though one loses quickly (and lots), it's a smaller percentage of your overall body weight than fewer pounds will be later on. Keep the faith -- smaller clothes will, indeed, happen along with the increasingly smaller YOU!

Congratulations.

Alison

Sarah said...

OMG, people, I hurt all over. My back was so tense. It felt really good for about three hours and now my muscles have cramped back up again. Wowsers. It'll be worth it next week, though. Whooo!

A diamond bracelet, Susan? I think you're worth it. Hope he gets the right one. :-P

Danyele, perhaps you can go in and get one of the massages where you don't have to disrobe as much, like just a foot and leg massage. That way it can ease you into things. Honestly, the therapist doesn't care what size you are. You're just a bundle of muscles to them. It is hard to get over the hangup, though. Being naked underneath that sheet is pretty scary.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Alison. It just seems kind of odd to lose 41 pounds, and not wear some of my smaller clothes. I mean, like I said, I'll take the weight loss, but it would be nice to fit into that 24 jean again, you know? Or perhaps the 22? Please?