Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Plateaus are Very Frustrating

So, it appears that there is a plateau in the weight loss in our home. Oh no, not for me, silly. For The Husband!

Yes, in an attempt to support me and my weight loss surgery, The Husband has taken to following my diet and cutting some things out of his normal eating patterns. Because let's face it, people. When you're a 180 pound, 5' 10" male, you have just let yourself go for crying out loud! What's wrong with you, you filthy pig? Let me roll my eyes delicately here. And bring the smelling salts, please.

I love the man, but my feelings for his obsession with this alternates between hilarity and downright pissed-offedness. While I applaud his wanting to eat more healthy, because it makes it easier on me when making choices about what to feed the family - i.e. cooking only one meal for all of us instead of two - the man in no way needs to cut every single carb out of his life. For one, he has a physically demanding job that means he NEEDS those carbs as well as protein in order to do the work. So if he takes a piece of bread to put his lunch meat and cheese on for lunch, it's not going to kill him. He's just going to burn it off in the next hour or so. But nooooo! That's white flour so he can't have it. Nuh-uh! It's poison, people! Poison!

The problem for me is that he sees things in such a black-and-white way. It either is or it isn't, and I'm a more lassiez-faire kind of girl when it comes to many things. Which is probably why we ended up getting married - just to frustrate the hell out of each other in this way.

Now, since he started this diet, he has succeeded in bringing his weight down to 167. And there he has sat for the last two weeks. This, of course, equals a plateau to him, and means he's not doing the right things to keep losing weight. Which means he ups his angst and frets about it verbally.

Darling, I hate to tell you, but it isn't a plateau until you haven't lost for like six weeks or so. And basically starving yourself to break this isn't going to work, just prolong it. Plus you're just going to keel over and die on me if you don't get some food in you now, sweetie! Please eat more than a bird today, okay?

Now, don't get me wrong. There are benefits to The Husband losing some weight. Bringing his weight down 13 pounds has meant that he has a more sculpted tush, trimmer thighs and more muscular calves. Which does up the salivation level for me. I mean, I have always adored these certain parts of him, and I never noticed them changing drastically - not like MINE have in the 135 pounds I'd gained since we met. I haven't noticed a big change in his biceps since they've always been muscular.

There's only one place on his body that hasn't really changed. And that would be the beer belly, however small it may be. Caused by - you guessed it - beer. And what is the ONE thing The Husband hasn't cut out of his diet? His beer.

Guess carbs aren't completely cut out of your life, are they, my dearest love? That white has turned just a shade grey, eh? You're still the best anyway, darlin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://mightygirl.com/shop