Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fingers are Going to be Pricked at Some Point in Time

I have two weeks to finish a wedding dress that isn't even cut out yet. Impossible? Perhaps. But I've been under worse pressure than this before with a sewing project. If all else fails, I'll just take the Wednesday before the renewal off as well to finish things up. I've got the leave, so no biggie. I've already made a mock-up of the bodice and made my adjustments to the pattern so that it will fit nicely. I think once the thing is done it will look very nice up top with my corset. I may feel like the Titanic on top, busting out all over, but it looks good. It's been a while since I cinched the girls up - the last time was to go to Ren Faire.

Today, I brought to work the alencon lace that I cut from a huge piece of lace netting that I'm going to use to decorate my sleeves. I have to trim around the edges of the design so that I can applique it back onto the netting once I cut out the sleeve from it. I don't want to waste my precious sewing time at home doing this tedious task, so my breaks and lunchtime will be spent trimming away. Slow and methodical. This will be my first time attempting this sort of thing, but I have a grasp of the concept of how to do it so it shouldn't be too hard.

Tonight, I cut the sleeves out of the lace and I will cut out at least the lining of the dress. If I still have time tonight and I will start to cut into the silk. If not, then tomorrow evening. That should actually be the most tedious part of the whole thing. Once that's done, it's on to construction, which should go relatively quickly. I'm considering building the lining first so that I can get the whole length situation squared away properly and deal with the horsehair braid first. That would also mean that I can take care of some of the trimwork quickly on the bottom of the dress. Theoretically, dress construction should be completed by Sunday evening at the latest, which leaves all next week for the handwork of finishing.

We'll see if I make it. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Danyele said...

Good luck! It sounds beautiful - can't wait to see pics of all of your handiwork.