Monday, April 23, 2007

We Interrupt our Regularly Scheduled Programming for this Rant from our Sponsor

First off, let me say that I am deeply saddened by the tragedy at Virginia Tech. In a perfect world, it would not have occurred. People wouldn't snap like that. Innocents wouldn't get hurt and killed. My heart and my prayers go out for those affected by this horrible incident and the families of those who died needlessly.

But I have to say that I have had enough of the BS that is coming not only from other countries but from those within our own about how this wouldn't have happened if only this killer hadn't had access to a weapon - more specifically a 9mm with high-capacity magazines.

How do you figure that? If he had mowed down a crowd of people with his car, he could have had the exact same effect. A bit harder to do, but still plausible.

This killer purchased the gun legally. He jumped through the hoops that are set up. He had his paperwork in order. He followed the laws. What he chose in the end to do with that gun, however, was NOT within the law. At the place where he purchased the weapon, Fox news did an interview and the employees gave the story straight - everything was in order, it was a perfectly legal transaction, and they had no indications that they should not go through with the sale. It was by the book. End of story.

The killer could have easily found the same weapon through the black market. Don't fool yourself. Far more weapons are out there and available for nebulous sales than we would like. THESE are the sales that need to be stopped, not the perfectly legal ones. But they're much harder to stop than the above-board ones. You know what they say - when you outlaw guns, the only people that have them will be outlaws, and you'll find that there will be many, many more than the government can control.

As for the high-capacity clips, since this killer was practicing tactical shooting at a range and becoming quite proficient at it, he could have been using 5-round magazines and still have gotten the same results. Once you know how to load that fast, it doesn't matter what size magazine you have. Ask a Navy Seal.

The key here is that his mental condition was undiagnosed and nobody knew about it. The legally purchased gun didn't cause these deaths. It was the man with the fractured mind behind it that killed these people. He just happened to use a gun.

My knee-jerk reaction to all the talk about limiting sales of guns makes me want to go out and bankrupt myself buying as many as I can before they take them away. I legally use my guns. I like my guns. I have no intention of using them for the same types of activities as this recent killer did. Why punish me, and the thousands upon thousands of other legal gun owners for the actions of the few?

We have a constitutional right to bear arms. This stems from the belief of our founding fathers that the people of this country have the right, should it become necessary, to take up arms against the government in times of oppression and rebel as we did against the British government. And while I honestly cannot foresee a time when this would happen, God forbid if World War III were to break out and all governments were to crumble, I want to be able to protect those I love in that dire scenario. Considering the state of our world, I would say that it's not entirely too paranoid a delusion to consider that there is a chance it might happen.

The end of this rant is the old adage that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." It's true. The millions (perhaps billions) of rounds of spent ammunition at target ranges throughout the country proclaim this truth. Not a single one of them killed another person. Just the target silhouette. And watermelons. A few of those, too.

No comments: